7,000 Islamic State affiliates remain in Iraq, officials say

Editorial Staff
http://ift.tt/eA8V8J

BAGHDAD,— High-ranking Iraqi security officials say up to 7,000 Islamic State group affiliates remain in Iraq after the fall of Mosul, where the group’s leader declared the self-styled caliphate three years ago. Three intelligence and defense officials also told The Associated Press there are an estimated 4,000 militants in addition to 3,000 supporters who were […]

The post 7,000 Islamic State affiliates remain in Iraq, officials say appeared first on Kurd Net – Ekurd.net Daily News.

source: Kurd Net – Ekurd.net Daily News

Read more

7,500 liras in 12 installments for 33 lives taken in Suruç

Admin
http://bit.ly/2iXD45x

suruc-victimsThe verdict came out in the case against Mehmet Yapalıal, who was the District Police Chief in Suruç on July 20, 2015 when 33 revolutionaries were murdered.

Yapalıal was put on trial in the Suruç Criminal Court on charges of negligence and misconduct. Victim Emrullah Akhamur’s brother Ümran Akhamur, survivors of the massacre Yasin Can, Onur Kartal and Ceren Çoban attended the hearing today.

Ümran Akhamur, complainant, said: “It is telling that the main case still hasn’t started this long after the massacre.”

Yasin Can said the suspect police had negligence in the explosion and continued: “The work that needed to be done to catch the suicide bomber hasn’t been done. We lived through hell in that explosion. I demand those who gave us that hell experience hell in front of the law and the public and I demand they are punished.”

Onur Kartal demanded the suspect be sentenced with the maximum and said: “I am pursuing charges against the suspect with negligence in the explosion and others with responsibility.”

Ceren Çoban said the police prevented them from taking the wounded to the hospital and pulled a gun on them. Çoban said: “According to the autopsy report, during the explosion 23 people lost their lives because of the blast. 10 people died because they couldn’t receive medical attention.” Çoban demanded the confidentiality order to be removed from the case and said: “I am pursuing charges against all involved.”

Lawyer Can Tombul objected to suspect Mehmet Yapalıal not being brought to the hearing and said their right to question the suspect was taken away. Tombul said the families and the wounded want to face Yapalıal and demanded the suspect be brought to the court room and the case be transferred over to the High Criminal Court for lack of jurisdiction.

The court sentenced the police officer Yapalıal with 10 months in prison first, then reduced the sentence to 8 months and 10 days, which was then turned into a fine of 7500 liras, to be paid in 12 monthly installments.

WHAT HAD HAPPENED?

A large group of revolutionaries gathered in front of the Amara Cultural Center in Suruç on July 20, 2015 for the campaign “Defend together, build together” launched by Socialist Youth Associations Federation (Sosyalist Gençlik Dernekleri Federasyonu – SGDF) for the rebuilding efforts in Kobanê had been attacked by an ISIS suicide bomber. Alican Vural, Alper Sapan, Aydan Ezgi Şalcı, Büşra Mete, Cebrail Günebakan, Cemil Yıldız, Çağdaş Aydın, Duygu Tuna, Ece Dinç, Emrullah Akhamur, Erdal Bozkurt, Evrim Deniz Erol, Ferdane Kılıç, Hatice Ezgi Sadet, İsmet Şeker, Kasım Deprem, Koray Çapoğlu, Medali Barutçu, Mert Cömert, Murat Yurtgül, Nartan Kılıç, Nazegül Boyraz, Nazlı Akyürek, Nuray Koçak, Okan Pirinç, Osman Çiçek, Polen Ünlü, Serhat Devrim, Süleyman Aksu, Uğur Özkan, Vatan Budak, Veysel Özdemir and Yunus Emre Şen had lost their lives in the massacre.

 

Source: Firat News Agency

The post 7,500 liras in 12 installments for 33 lives taken in Suruç appeared first on Kurdish Info.

source: Kurdish Info

Read more

7,000 Islamic State Militants Killed in Past Year

Luke Coleman
http://ift.tt/1JO4keG

CANBERRA – In an update given to Australian media 19th August, Australia’s Chief of joint operations, Vice Admiral David Johnston claimed that Islamic State has seen around 7,000 of its militants, including leaders, killed over the last 12 months.

He also dismissed suggestions by Australian MP Dan Tehan that the country start bombing missions in Syria, insisting that coalition partners are already targeting Islamic State (IS) positions. “The contribution of Australia isn’t really a game changer one way or another.”

Johnston told reporters that IS is currently concentrating operations in Iraq, where it is holding positions, rather than advancing. In Ramadi the jihadists are limited by Iraqi security forces, he said.

“What we are seeing is that instead of moving forward or going on the offensive, they are often forced to be defensive and to try and slow down and delay Iraqi forces.”

He reported that Australian jets had “removed” an IS leader in Anbar Province.

source: BasNews

Read more